save tabs, even into multiple groups of tabs

Share any ideas you have on improving Explorer++
riow

save tabs, even into multiple groups of tabs

Post by riow »

Wish to save all opened tabs at once by clicking a save tabs button rather waiting for the automatic saving tabs at exit, because it frequently crashes before a normal exit.

Besides, saving tabs into mutiple tab groups would be helpful to manage many tabs rather opening all tabs at a time which burdens Explorer++.

;)
ajs

Re: save tabs, even into multiple groups of tabs

Post by ajs »

Hi,
saving "sessions" (list of open tabs at once) is in my development list. It will come sooner or later.

About the crashes, are you using v1.2? I had several crashed when I was using that. If so, try the last nightly build, where some crash situation have been fixed
riow

Post by riow »

Hi ajs, yes, I'm using 1.2. I've just tried the nightly build, and found that it doesn't start, though I can find it from the task list. I need to kill it, and go back to 1.2.
ajs

Post by ajs »

riow wrote: I've just tried the nightly build, and found that it doesn't start, though I can find it from the task list. I need to kill it.
That's is quite strange, really... I know there are several user using the last nightly build, both on 32 and 64 bits. Perhaps one more try after a reboot could be worth it.
riow

Post by riow »

yes, it does works after a reboot!
ajs

Post by ajs »

riow wrote:yes, it does works after a reboot!
good news. it's not the first time windows mess up with applications, like what you described before.
As for E++, with the nightly built you should experience far less crashes than before (even though sometimes it still crashes). Some features may temporarily not be working as they should, being a nightly built
riow

Post by riow »

Thanks ajs! :)
riow

Post by riow »

Oh, btw, I've just come across a crash in the nightly build. I found the crash is still annoying in losing all the newly loaded tabs. Could the tabs be saved automatically before the crash please?
twinsen

Post by twinsen »

I've been having some annoying crashes too (but I am still using 1.2 with some mods).

One crash happens when I click on a button in the app bar (quite rare). I've had it happen maybe 4 times.
The crash dumps always says its happening in "OpenFileItem(pidl,szCommandParameters);", szCommandParameters seems ok in the debugger, but I can't validate pidl.
However a nightly exe using the same config does not seem to crash (hard to know for sure though). The workaround I currently use is "duplicate to new window" then use the app bar - so if the new explorer++ window crashes I don't lose my tabs in the previous window. I am hoping the problem just goes away with the nightly exe.

Another crash happened when I renamed a directory in one tab, where the directory was open in another tab. I can't reproduce it, but I should still have the crash dump so I may look at it later.

I like the save-tabs-when-crash idea, I might try and implement that until my crashes go away.
twinsen

Post by twinsen »

Oh and if you find a crash, could you see if you can find the corresponding crash dump in the temporary directory? Eg for 1.2 it looks like "Explorer++1.2-*.dmp"
Create a post with which nightly exe it was, attach it, and hopefully someone can work out the revision and locate the line where the crash occurred. If we are lucky the cause will be obvious and the crash can be fixed.