Search textbox..?

Ask any support questions here
twinsen

Re: Search textbox..?

Post by twinsen »

I've implemented one now. I made it as close to QTTabBar's as possible.
searchbox1.png
searchbox1.png (30.77 KiB) Viewed 4392 times
searchbox2.png
searchbox2.png (29.99 KiB) Viewed 4392 times
Demo exe:
http://members.iinet.net.au/~bertdb/rya ... sen_2.1.7z

Please test it out and see what you think.
Ensure you add that blue filter button by customizing the main toolbar. Press it to quickly disable the filter (thanks ajs!).

The address bar filter mod is still there, but its persistent and keeps in sync with the current filter.
Filters work on directories too, so its best to have the tree view for folder navigation.
Filters in the search box work a little different to elsewhere - you don't need to put a star around your substring (just like QTTabBar).
Also improved the ctrl-shift-f, filters set from anywhere get put in its list, and duplicates are removed.

It will take awhile for me to clean the code up to be patch worthy.
ajs

Post by ajs »

Hi Ryan,
I tried the executable. I would call your change a "filter bar" and not a "search bar". Correct me if I am wrong, but it looks to me that what it does is to apply a filter to the selected directory. I was also planning to introduce a filter toolbar (which can be positioned wherever somebody wants inside the rebar control) but I have to discuss with David first (and I am also waiting for a previous patch to be committed before that)
twinsen

Post by twinsen »

Yep calling it "filter bar" is fine.
I was just copying the exact behaviour of QTTabBar because I find that tool useful. That doesn't mean we want to be just like it. Using the word filter fits better for explorer++.

Having a search more like win7 explorer would be quite useful. And if it supports disabling searching subdirectories recursively, then it even be used instead of the filter textbox. But there is definitely a difference between searching and just applying a filter.