Uninstalling Explorer++ - my first post here

Ask any support questions here
wagonmaster

Uninstalling Explorer++ - my first post here

Post by wagonmaster »

I've been looking through the posts to see if I could find my answer, but not there either as you'll see if you search "uninstall". I love many of the features in Explorer++ (who DOESN'T love tabs and a better search?) but it's not ideal for my need and I'll almost certainly come back to it as I'm not likely to satisfy all my specs for file manager in one spot but for now I need to completely uninstall it before trying another.

What I've Done So Far:
I've already gone in to it's Options and UNticked so that it's no longer the default over Explorer (Window 7-32bit). I need to know though how to completely uninstall it. I expected to see it listed when I went to uninstall it through Control Panel. Not there. Hmmm,... I looked in the start menu for a folder with an "uninstall". Nope.

So, you know, when all else fails, Read The Freaking Manual, so I went to Help, got the file online but when I went to copy in the .chm file there was no folder there called "Explorer" anything.

So hopefully you'll see I tried all I could before bugging the experts here. I don't mind admitting I'm stumped.

It may very well turn out to me just me having a brain burp today (forgive me in advance if that's what it turns out), but can anyone kindly help me please? I've never really seen a product I couldn't uninstall in one of these ways. If it's just a "standalone" type program, can someone let me know the path of the folder to delete, please?

Thanks for your help. Curiouser and curiouser. :-)
David Erceg
Site Admin

Re: Uninstalling Explorer++ - my first post here

Post by David Erceg »

Hi wm, no need to uninstall anything, just delete the executable. There's a registry key created under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Explorer++, which you can delete as well if you want (though leaving it won't cause any problems).
wagonmaster

Post by wagonmaster »

Thanks so much! That's what I was after. I don't know if the 2 things were only coincidentally related, but with Explorer++ open, I got a message that Explorer had crashed. This is on my business computer so I'll be using Explorer++ on my personal computer, but can't (until I research more) really use it on my business one. Because I now don't trust that Explorer won't do something wonky (I think that's the technical term :-)), I wanted to remove all traces before trying out another tabbed file manager to compare with Explorer++ (which I already really do like a lot). I didn't want to do the registry thing in case someone's reply back was, "you're having a brain burp, just click here to uninstall".

So, whereas I'd usually agree that no harm will come by leaving the folder, and all due respect and thanks David, in this case because it's my business computer I'm going to "wear suspenders and a belt" and do the reg thing. Can I ask you for one more second to pick your brain just a bit more? Is it better to simply delete the whole folder HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Explorer++ or does it need to stay there now but with some value set to '0'? I never like to trust that I can do things as I usually would when I have access to experts and maybe learn an even better way. There can always be something proprietary you don't know about that will bite you.

David, much appreciation for you time and response. Have a great Sunday! :D
Saik0Shinigami

Post by Saik0Shinigami »

You can delete the entire folder "Explorer++" key. Or the "folder" if that's how you like to view it as. Whenever(if) you decide to re-install it, it will replace those keys back like a fresh install does.

The care needs to be taken that you don't delete anything else except the Explorer++ parent.
runbei

Post by runbei »

This doesn't work in my Win 7 64-bit. Even after a reboot, double-clicking a folder in Windows Explorer displays an error - Application not found. Very disappointing, and no solution in sight. Installing other file managers doesn't change this.
BB8

Post by BB8 »

I too had the same issue with the latest version of explorer++ in windows 11. To solve this I opened regedit and searched for all entries containing 'explorer++'. I was able to remove all but two entries(they were protected for some reason), and windows explorer became the default again.
However, many people are reluctant to play with the registry. A simple uninstall, imho, should be included with this program. The ones by tallguy have all been removed. :(

As reported in some other posts, the folder menu(left pane) does not auto update after rename/move/copy etc. Having to restart the app is annoying at best.

Explorer++ does not inherit all the context menu items(right click) from windows explorer. The missing ones I use often, so this is a major issue for me.

I use a registry hack to change the default 'copy' to 'move' using left mouse button. This registry hack is not ported to explorer++. BUMMER!

Explorer++ is a great and speedy tool. Folders with thousands of entries are displayed almost instantly, whereas windows explorer takes up to 90 seconds to scan and display a large folder.(quite annoying). It has many features which make it a very robust application. With the three or four items of concern repaired, it would make a great windows explorer replacement.

Cheers!