Explorer++ Beta Builds on Windows 8

Ask any support questions here
JodyThornton

Explorer++ Beta Builds on Windows 8

Post by JodyThornton »

I am currently running v1.4.0.1947 developer x64 build, and it works just fine on my system. I have tried the last three developer builds from December 2023 and January 2024. They will run immediately if I open them from the compressed zip file. However, if I extract all the files to a location, and then run the EXE file from there, nothing happens, and I have to kill the dormant task in Task Manager.

Sometimes after a few tries to run the new Explorer++, and killing tasks, it does open finally. What gives? Does anyone know? I thought perhaps Windows 7 and 8x support might be shelved so I thought I better check,

Thanks Everyone!
David Erceg
Site Admin

Re: Explorer++ Beta Builds on Windows 8

Post by David Erceg »

The latest dev build (1.5.0.2296) appears to work correctly when I extract it to a location, then run it on Windows 8. Are you extracting it to a location where there's an existing config.xml file? Does the application open correctly if you switch back to the default settings? (You can easily do that either by renaming config.xml, if you're using that, or renaming the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Explorer++ registry key).
JodyThornton

Post by JodyThornton »

Thanks for the quick response David. I have my settings saved in the registry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Explorer++. I renamed the whole tree and on next run, it did create a new tree named Explorer++, but did not run on screen. Eventually after MANY attempts, and closings in Task Manager, it opens.

Do you have way to download older versions? I wonder where the behaviour emerges.
David Erceg
Site Admin

Post by David Erceg »

You can download older dev builds from https://explorerplusplus.com/builds?prefix=dev%2F, with the oldest available build being from August last year.
JodyThornton

Post by JodyThornton »

Thank you so much. I'll try some of those tomorrow evening.
JodyThornton

Post by JodyThornton »

Actually I did try the oldest one on the page. Darn! Same Symptoms.

I think I'll stay with my working build from October 2022. Thank you David.

Cheers,
Jody