Will not run in Win10 Pro

Ask any support questions here
j2313

Will not run in Win10 Pro

Post by j2313 »

I installed Explorer++ v1.4 x64, on Dell 3070 system with Win10 Pro, OS build 19045.4170 version 22H2. Also using latest version of Classic Shell to modify start menu.

I have tried to start it by clicking on executable as user and as Administrator. Disk lite flashes for a bit but nothing happens. Checking Task Manager shows process is not loading.

Not sure where to start looking. Not getting any messages, and nothing is indicated when I check MS Defender quarantined files.

Any help would be appreciated. Have been running same Explorer++ build on my Dell 9020 Win 7 Pro system for many years with no issues. Also using it on a Win 10 Pro system on my Dell 5480 laptop. Also running Classic Shell on it. Explorer++ works great there also.

Thanks,
John
j2313

Re: Will not run in Win10 Pro

Post by j2313 »

Ok, made a final check by taking a look at the registry to look any instances of "Explorer++". Compared to other programs noted in the same key set, found nothing out of the ordinary in the several places I found the key.

Just for a try, found copy of v3.5.1.531. Erased the folder on the Dell and loaded the referenced build and it works. Was able to setup folder/pane display, save the setup and use Explorer++ numerous time without issue.

Only difference between my two Dell Win 10 Pro machines are the Win 10 update builds:
Dell Latitude 5480 (21H2, build 19041.3086)
Dell 3070 (22H2, build 19045.4170)

Go figure, guess it wouldn't be 1st time MS breaks working software with updates....
JodyThornton

Post by JodyThornton »

I noticed this SAME thing in January, running Windows 8. I also use Classic Shell interestingly.

There were a few suggestions, but the thread just rotted away without further comment. I find that happens A LOT here!
David Erceg
Site Admin

Post by David Erceg »

Past builds weren't very tolerant of issues with the loaded data. That meant that if a saved value had an incorrect or unexpected value, you could end up with a situation similar to the one described here - that is, where the application crashes on startup. It's something I've made changes to recently, so newer dev builds should be much more tolerant of issues with the loaded data.

In terms of what caused this specific issue, it's difficult to say without a crash dump. For issues like this generally, I would recommend:

1. Trying the latest dev build. The latest stable build is itself very out of date, so it's very possible the issue has since been fixed.
2. If a crash dump is generated, report an issue, with the crash dump attached.
3. Run the latest dev build with the --enable-logging command line flag. A few logging files should be created in %TEMP%. If a file named something like Explorer++.exe.DESKTOP-1234.User.log.FATAL.20240405-190058 contains any logging lines, report an issue, with the contents of that file attached. Depending on how the crash occurs, it's possible that the log file may contain useful information, even if no crash dump is generated.
There were a few suggestions, but the thread just rotted away without further comment. I find that happens A LOT here!
For what it's worth, I much prefer issues are reported at https://github.com/derceg/explorerplusplus/issues, rather than here.
j2313

Post by j2313 »

Thanks for the info Dave, I will give that a try this weekend.

John