How to remove Explorer++

Post by Dragen »

How do I remove Explorer++?
David Erceg
Site Admin

Re: How to remove Explorer++

Post by David Erceg »

Remove it as the default file manager?

Uncheck Tools>Options>Replace Explorer for filesystem folders, or run the command:

explorer++.exe -remove_as_default

Just note that you'll need to run Explorer++ with administrative privileges for the above to work.
Dragen

Post by Dragen »

Thanks.
You're going the right way with Explorer++, but I felt it lacking. Such as no job queueing. But I'll certainly keep my eye on this software.
cyril

Post by cyril »

I got a similar and nasty issue : My Explorer++ is stuck in "Replace Explorer for filesystem folders" (that's what the radio buttons say, but in fact the behavior is "all folders"). I want to get back to "Don't replace Explorer" or "Replace Explorer for filesystem folders", and this is really, really annoying because it prevents me from accessing any system configuration panel !
Everytime I try to change that, I get the message : "Error encountered while changing default file manager status. Please ensure you have administrator privileges.", even though I am running Explorer++ as administrator. :?
I would really hate to be forced into reinstalling my system... :evil:
I am running Explorer++ 1.1 64-bit Unicode under Windows 7 Ultimate x64.
Thanks a lot for your advice!
David Erceg
Site Admin

Post by David Erceg »

Using regedit, or another registry tool, change the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell default value to 'none' (without the quotes), and the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell default value to empty (i.e. no value).
cyril

Post by cyril »

Great!
Thanks for that.
I donnow why it got stuck like that :/
lhstech

Post by lhstech »

I found that under Windows 7 that if I logged in the local Administrator (you have to activate it if it is not enabled) I COULD reset the default Explorer by clicking the radial "Tools>Options>Replace Explorer for all folders" and then click "Apply".

If I used my account (with administrative privileges...!!!) then I COULD NOT reset the default file manager.

I also found that you could still access the missing Control Panel items (like Windows Firewall and Windows Update which no longer function with Explorer++) if you use "windows key + E" (this uses the old default Windows 7 Explorer as long as you have not remapped it) and click the "Open Control Panel" button on the toolbar you will see the old Control Panel from default Windows 7. In the old default Control Panel right click any icon and select "Open" or "Open in New Window" and the program will work normally. You do not need to be logged on with the local Admin account to follow these steps...it will work with your normal user account.

I hope this helps.
glibble

Post by glibble »

Thanks a TON to David Erceg for his registry tip. I had this problem at a very bad time, facing deadlines and suddenly my computer was essentially useless. lhstech's tip about activating the local administrator did not work (tried that first) but the regkey did. Thankfully as well in win10 as back in Win7.

It's looking like I'll never have the month or so it would take to sit down and really learn linux--it's really something you have to do in high school or college when you have summer off and a temp summer job with lots of spare time if you use it right. Certainly adult RL doesn't allow that kind of serious learning-curve immersion...sigh. But as long as I can't move to Linux, Explorer++ has been the next best thing--until now, when this happened. Oh well.