New bookmarks forgotten if multiple instances open...

Found a bug or something that needs fixing?
topbanana

New bookmarks forgotten if multiple instances open...

Post by topbanana »

If i have multiple instances of E++ open, and i create some new bookmarks in one of them, if i do not make sure i close that instance last, all the bookmarks just created are forgotten.

Could it be possible that the bookmarks are remembered such that they do appear in a newly launched instance, irrespective of which order the other instances are shut down?
The order of the bookmarks is lost too i think, but this is less of a PITA.

Thanks!
David Erceg
Site Admin

Re: New bookmarks forgotten if multiple instances open...

Post by David Erceg »

Originally, I had planned to make multiple instances of the application communicate and share information about bookmarks. But my preference now would be to do what web browsers do and always run a single instance (Chrome, for example, has a single browser process, which is responsible for creating windows and saving data). That would solve all of these sorts of issues where data from one instance is saved over the other. It's not something I've tried implementing yet, so I'm not sure how long it might take.
Could it be possible that the bookmarks are remembered such that they do appear in a newly launched instance, irrespective of which order the other instances are shut down?
Settings are saved in three situations:

1. When the application is closed.
2. Every 30 seconds.
3. When something is changed in the options dialog and Apply/OK is clicked.

It's not an ideal solution, but if you have some bookmark changes you want saved in one instance you could trigger a save by changing an option (simply checking then unchecking an option works fine) and then click Apply/OK before starting a second instance.

I don't plan on making any interim changes to fix this, since it would be difficult and I think the time would be better spent updating the application to create all windows from a single process.
topbanana

Re: New bookmarks forgotten if multiple instances open...

Post by topbanana »

I'll go with the Options Dialog workaround for now. That'll work just fine i think.
I often have 4 or more instances open, so having to remember to close them in the correct order, after i've finished the work, was almost impossible. Now i know how to lock in the new bookmarks!

Thanks David!