Search textbox..?

Ask any support questions here
sibu.soren

Search textbox..?

Post by sibu.soren »

Is there any way to get a win vista / win 7 type search text box somewhere in the toolbar..?

Also i noticed filters can do some of the job or searching through a huge file list.. but is there any way to put filter button in my toolbar..?

If the answer to both these question is no.. I would like my post to be moved to feature request section..

Thanks a lot..
ajs

Re: Search textbox..?

Post by ajs »

hi,
a search box dialog is already there (Ctrl+F), even though in v1.2 it is rather basic. The nightly built has a better search dialog, even though there is still work to do on that. It doesn't search con contents in files though.

About filters, the nightly built allow you to set/remove a filter with Ctrl+G. In the future I have already plan to add a button to the toolbar and also a filter toolbar as well.
ajs

Post by ajs »

I have added a filter toolbar button today and submitted the patch for commitment to David
http://www.explorerplusplus.com/forum/v ... ?f=7&t=714
sibu.soren

Post by sibu.soren »

Hi..

Sorry for the noob question.. but how to apply patches..?

and by search text box in the toolbar I meant something that resembles this..

and yeah thanks a ton for responding so fast.. :)
ajs

Post by ajs »

sibu.soren wrote:Hi..
Sorry for the noob question.. but how to apply patches..?
and by search text box in the toolbar I meant something that resembles this..
and yeah thanks a ton for responding so fast.. :)
If you want to apply patches yourself, you need to download the source code from the repository and then apply the patch and recompile.
Alternatively, you can wait until David commit the patch to the repository and then download the last nightly built. You can check http://www.explorerplusplus.com/forum/v ... ?f=7&t=676 to see when the patch has gone in.

For the search in the toolbar, it is a good idea. I have added to the list of things to do.
twinsen

Post by twinsen »

I'd like a search textbox in a toolbar too.

With Windows XP explorer with QTTabBar, it has a "Search Box" in the "QTTab Standard Buttons" toolbar. You can type filters like "*.txt" into it. Its also case insensitive and works on subfolders!

The search textbox in win7 seems similar, but I don't have win7 at the moment to compare to QTTabBar.
ajs

Post by ajs »

twinsen wrote:I'd like a search textbox in a toolbar too.

With Windows XP explorer with QTTabBar, it has a "Search Box" in the "QTTab Standard Buttons" toolbar. You can type filters like "*.txt" into it. Its also case insensitive and works on subfolders!

The search textbox in win7 seems similar, but I don't have win7 at the moment to compare to QTTabBar.
Hi Ryan,
my plan for search tools is something like this:
1) add the possibility to store the results of a search from the search dialog to a tab
2) implement a search panel which resembles WinXP explorer search panel (at least we don't need to open a dialog for searching files, which honestly I find quite annoying)
3) implement a search toolbar, which would be a mini-version of the search panel
sibu.soren

Post by sibu.soren »

ajs wrote:I have added a filter toolbar button today and submitted the patch for commitment to David
Is this patch applied already..? so its like I should see the feature in nightly build right..?
ajs

Post by ajs »

sibu.soren wrote:
ajs wrote:I have added a filter toolbar button today and submitted the patch for commitment to David
Is this patch applied already..? so its like I should see the feature in nightly build right..?
no, David hasn't committed it yet.
twinsen

Post by twinsen »

I started using the windows 7 explorer search textbox, I stopped using it because it would search all subdirectories too, matching stuff I didn't want. I looked for a way to disable recursively searching subdirectories, but couldn't find a way :(.
I went back to QTTabBar's search.
Simply typing a substring, will filter the list view with files or folders containing the substring.

If the search box was implemented in explorer++, can it not recursively search subdirectories (or make it an option we can disable).

I might try and implement one, so I don't have to switch to windows explorer every time I want to do a quick search/filter.