Navigation via letter key

Ask any support questions here
jon

Navigation via letter key

Post by jon »

When i first start explorer++, I can navigate in the folder pane by typing letters, e.g. pressing X takes me to the first visible folder that begins with the letter X. This is a feature i use extensively in Windows Explorer, which I'd like to abandon in favor of explorer++.

However, after using for a short while, I find this feature stops working. For instance, as soon as i create a new tab (ctrl T), i can no longer navigate via letter key in the folders pane. (I can navigate fine in the detail view on the right.)

Is this a known bug? Is there a work-around?

PS: I'm using version 1.2 on Windows XP, service pack 3.
ajs

Re: Navigation via letter key

Post by ajs »

It looks like I can replicate the problem. On my computer, some times the navigation of the tree view (folder pane) using keyboard keys doesn't work: it requires either to press a letter several times or click again with the mouse on the tree view to get back to work.
Is it the same on your computer, or does it stop completely?
I have added this to the list of things to check and fix.
jon

Post by jon »

Thank you. I didn't realize that pressing the key several times or clicking would resolve this but, yes, I'm seeing the same behavior.

So I've got my work-around. Thanks again.
twinsen

Post by twinsen »

I've had this problem too, its quite annoying. Pressing the key several times did not help (don't think I clicked multiple times though). It happened on XP. My workaround was to scroll and watch carefully or start a cmd prompt at the directory so I can auto complete the filename.
I can't reproduce the issue on demand though, and now I'm using win7.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

I use this function frequently too so hope its fix is soon coming.

Frankly, I hadn't realized it even worked at all since every time I've tried it, was at least a few minutes into using X++, and it didn't work any of those times, though I did press the key several times in each instance. Also tried moving to another folder and doing it there - failed as well.

As much as I dislike Explorer, if this function isn't reliable soon I'll have to go back to it because of it.
furashgf

Post by furashgf »

Double pressing seems to work for me, but the expectation for most people would be that single clicking the letter should work.
heechee

Post by heechee »

Hi all,

I haaate this bug but could finally reproduce it! :twisted:
I found several ways to reproduce similar behaviours (on Windows 7 btw):

First issue - this only works if your focus is in the folder pane (aka treeview) on the left:
1) Left-click any folder in the folder pane to select it
2) Press CTRL-X to cut it
3) Try pressing any letter key to jump to another folder
Won't work. Pressing the letter between 2 to 22 times makes it work again.

Second issue - this works in both the folder and the files pane:
1) Create an empty folder "Explorertest" and create the following directory structure in there:

2) Left-click on any of the four AB folders in the files pane to select it
3) Try pressing A several times and then B several times. You will notice that it frequently does not work.
4) No amount of keypresses will help, you need to wait a couple of seconds and then it again works like it should.

This also works in the folder pane but there we have another interesting phenomenon, the
Third issue:
1) Make sure folders are fully expanded then left-click on the AA folder in the folder pane to select it
2a) Press A several times and notice how strangely the focus shifts:
AA => AB => AA => AB => any outside A-folders => Amiga => repeat from start
(notice the AA => AB cycle is passed two times instead of one)
2b) Press B several times and notice how strangely the focus shifts:
BA => BB => BB => any outside B-folders => Berserk => repeat from start
(notice BB is passed two times instead of one)

I hope this will help in the analysis to fix this weird behaviour. ;)
Thanks!
heechee

Post by heechee »

Awww come on I even reproduced it, am I really the only one navigating using the keyboard..? ;)

Apart from that single bug E++ is excellent!