Drag Drop in 'stopped mode', 'space rename problem', batch

Share any ideas you have on improving Explorer++
ivanrolim

Drag Drop in 'stopped mode', 'space rename problem', batch

Post by ivanrolim »

Hi there,

I've also discovered two important things that can be considered small bugs. Fixing this will speed up activities very much and diminish reworking.

1) We discovered that, if you select a file, and drag it to a background program, or to the left pane (directory listing) in order to move/copy it, the right pane (where the selected file is in) rolls to the left/right, so you have to find it again if you want to select the next file in the list. It should have a 'stopped' behavior (you click in the file and drag it without rolling up the right pane). I suppose this was conceived to sort files in the right pane manually (a black line appear when you drag the selected file over the same right pane), but this functionality doenst appear to work or have any benefit so far. So the 'black line resorting' mode, while dragging, should be deactivated by user (a option).

2) When you rename a file (some users need to put big lenght names), but accidentally put a space in the end (by mistake), the file IS NOT renamed :/ The program should detect the space and remove it :roll:

3) Mass rename is a REALLY good and optimized tool, that we have tested. But it lacks two important things so far: 1) the ability to rename with '0......00......000' numbers (extra left digits), to avoid 'number sorting problem' (10, 11, 12 before of 1).
Additionally, the extension should be kept (the rename action actually removes the extension). As we dont change extensions when batch renaming (its not usual), the funcionality should 'save' the actual extension of each file and then apply it when OK is pressed.

That´s it! Keep up the great work! ;)
ajs

Re: Drag Drop in 'stopped mode', 'space rename problem', batch

Post by ajs »

ivanrolim wrote:3) Mass rename is a REALLY good and optimized tool, that we have tested. But it lacks two important things so far: 1) the ability to rename with '0......00......000' numbers (extra left digits), to avoid 'number sorting problem' (10, 11, 12 before of 1).
Additionally, the extension should be kept (the rename action actually removes the extension). As we dont change extensions when batch renaming (its not usual), the funcionality should 'save' the actual extension of each file and then apply it when OK is pressed.

That´s it! Keep up the great work! ;)
If you use the last nightly built, option 1) is there (use /000N) for a 4 digit counter for example).
For the extension, you just need to put /E to keep it.
i:e: /B/00N/E -> base filename + 3 digit counter + extension
ivanrolim

Post by ivanrolim »

ajs wrote:If you use the last nightly built, option 1) is there (use /000N) for a 4 digit counter for example).
All Right! Actually, its option 3! Thank you! Sorry I missed that. But I think it should have a more explicit option, like a radio button below the name field, like 'keep extension', and these status being saved on each explorer++ run (e.g. you activate the radio button, so every rename will keep the extension. You exit the program, call it again, and the radio keeps marked on). ;)
David Erceg
Site Admin

Post by David Erceg »

Hi Ivan, #2 is on my list of issues to fix.
JohninLA

Post by JohninLA »

I like the mass rename function and use it all the time.

Is there a way to specify what number to start the sequence with? For example, I have a set of photos called ABC 1.jpg up to say 50. I would like to start a new set starting at 51. How do I do that? If I put /N50, it increases by 100 rather that by 1. Can I not do this or am I missing the correct way to do it?

Thanks!
David Erceg
Site Admin

Post by David Erceg »

You can't specify the starting number currently. The only thing you can do is pad the output - for example /0N would produce the series 00, 01, 02, ..., 10, 11, 12, ...

The actual pattern that's matched is: /[0]*N. So, if you enter /N50, /N is replaced with a sequential counter, while the 50 is left in-place. Therefore, what you'll get is the series 050, 150, 250.

Hope that helps!
JohninLA

Post by JohninLA »

Thank you. I hope that someday we'll be able to specify a starting number when adding photos to a collection.